[alsa-devel] CMI8788/AV200/Oxygen Volume Controls in alsamixer (oxygen_mixer.c:dac_volume_get())

John L. Utz III jutz at dmx.com
Tue Jan 27 00:36:59 CET 2009

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> John Utz wrote:
>> if my employer decides that we will use the card
>
> If you're thinking about the Xonar D2/D2X: please note that I removed
> the "Master" control in the latest kernel in the hope of fixing some
> unexplained bug where the card's EEPROM would be deleted.  (I think that
> I may be able to prove that the Master control isn't related to this
> bug, and revert that change.)

Good to know, but not relevant in our case, we are exploring the D1.

>> (not entirely clear, it's expensive and IMHO the sound quality isnt
>> worth the money)
>
> The Xonar D1/DX has almost the same capabilities as the D2/D2X (in Linux)
> and is more reasonably priced.

It's definitely reasonable when compared to the D2, but it's still
relatively expensive.

> What are your requirements?

Low price, good power output on *all* channels, good fidelity. robust
linux multichannel support.

not a big list, eh?. :-)

onboard stuff tends to only provide amplification on the front channels
and expects that the user will provide a separate amplifier for rear and
surround.

Sound *cards* tend to have onboard amps for all the channels because
they have the pcb real-estate to spare for that sort of thing.