[alsa-devel] Enumerating PCM devices

Bankim Bhavsar bankim.bhavsar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 04:57:23 CET 2009

Hi Alsa developers/users,

For some reason my message got truncated earlier. So here I go again.

I'm using snd_device_name_hint("pcm"..) and then
snd_device_name_get_hint(.."NAME") to get the NAME parameter of pcm
devices.
Is it true that all sound cards that support Alsa will *always* have
"default" pcm device? I'm more inclined towards using
"default:CARD=<vendor>" as the parameter to snd_pcm_open(). This way
if the program configures
hardware params for any number of channels then the appropriate PCM
device will be selected on the sound card, correct?

Thanks,
Bankim.