[alsa-devel] CS4232 Playback bug on Tecra 500

Krzysztof Helt krzysztof.h1 at poczta.fm
Sat Jan 24 09:26:06 CET 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:37:48 +0100
Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:

> At Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:28:56 +0100,
> Krzysztof Helt wrote:
> > Next thing is that your have a second driver loaded:
> > the snd-cs4236. Do not load this driver. AFAIR, the
> > snd-cs4236 driver should be blacklisted or removed
> > on laptop with the cs4232 chip and PNP BIOS. The
> > cs4236 and cs4232 have the same PNP BIOS id-s.
> > The snd-cs4236 was incorrectly loaded instead of
> > the snd-cs4232 at least on my laptop (old Dell).
>
> Isn't there any way to check this conflict between CS4232 and CS4236?
> If we can know that the particular card is for snd-cs4232, snd-cs4236
> could give a warning and quit...

I have opened my laptop and it has the CS4237B chipset (the one
the Dell states for this model).
A problem is with ALSA drivers. The snd-cs4232 is the only driver
which supports pnpbios. The snd-cs4236 does not so it does not
recognize the card.

An ultimate solution would be to merge the snd-cs4236-lib into
the wss-lib (as Rene Herman proposed some time ago) then
prepare a single driver for all cs423x cards.

Regards,
Krzysztof