[alsa-devel] Acer Aspire 8920g / snd-hda-intel / ALC889 / surround sound

Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan jin at deadlock.dhs.org
Fri Jan 23 15:45:37 CET 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 02:36:39AM +0100, Hector Martin wrote:
> Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan wrote:
> > Hmm, I applied the patch to the latest git, selected model acer-aspire-4930g,
> > upped volume in the mixers and ran:
> > speaker-test -c6 -Dplug:surround51 -t wav -l1
> >

> > Got only front left / front right output. What am I missing?
>
> Try speaker-test -Dhw:0 -c6 -twav

indeed, my mistake: speaker-test -c6 -Dhw:0,0 -t wav does output on front
l/r and rear l/r.

> Make sure that 6ch mode is selected in the mixer (this should not be
> necessary as it relates to the jacks, but that's one of the things I'd
> have to fix for a "real" patch), and that the relevant volume levels are
> turned up.
>
> If it doesn't work, please attach your /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 file
>
> > Am I supposed to adjust anything with the analyzer before testing your patch?
>
> Not in theory, but you can try some things.
>
> Here's what the relevant NIDs correspond to:
> 0x02 - (normally) Front DAC
> 0x03 - (normally) Rear DAC
> 0x04 - (normally) CLFE DA
>
> 0x0c - (normally) Front mixer
> 0x0d - (normally) Rear mixer
> 0x0e - (normally) CLFE mixer
>
> 0x14 - Front speakers pin
> 0x15 - Headphones pin (also EAPD for speaker amp)
> 0x16 - CLFE speakers pin
> 0x1b - Rear speakers pin

A friend of mine helped me out with the analyzer yesterday, here's some
additional info:

0x17 -> black jack
0x18 -> pink jack
0x1a -> blue jack

He also confirmed that this one DAC that you mentioned does not do what it is
supposed to. His suspicion was that it may not be initialized correctly or
something like that.

So overall - some progress and your patch worked for me in the end.

I'll gladly test whatever you come up with regarding the remaning problem
with the DAC.

Kind regards,
Jin