[alsa-devel] "softswitch" feature?

Nicolas Boullis nboullis at debian.org
Tue Jan 20 01:59:30 CET 2009

Hello,

I'd like to implement a PCM device with 2 slaves, that sends its stream
to either slave according to a user-defined switch.

I need this for a card that is able to play either 2-channel 16-bit
big-endian frames to its analog output or IEC958 frames to its digital
output. I'd like to setup a "default" device for this card that send
sound to either output according to a switch.

Is such a thing feasible with the existing plugins?

If not, do you think it would be easy to implement?

Note that, although my card implements this as 2 separate devices, they
can't be open simultaneously since both use the same hardware fifo.
Hence, I think it would require that the unused slave not be open.

I also can imagine othen applications for such a feature, such as with a
VOIP application to use either a standard soundcard connected to
loudspeakers and a microphone, or a bluetooth headset.

Reagrds,

Nicolas

PS: FWIW, the card I'm talking about is a hardware MPEG decoder board,
whose driver I'm the maintainer of, an which implements an ALSA driver
for its audio part. It's current card-specific configuration is
available at
  http://freehg.org/u/nboullis/em8300/file/tip/modules/EM8300.conf
All comments are welcome.