[alsa-devel] {Q}simple selection of analog ports other than the headphones

S. Aguinaga sa_jr at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 18:55:52 CET 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I have installed a fresh Fedora 9, and I have an Echo Layla3G (pci) card.  All I had to do was install the firmware, and it to playback out of Layla headphones.  This device has other Outputs, how I can I easily select the other channels for playback?

aplay -l show these (along withthe Intel HDA for the built-in audio device):
card 1: Layla3G [Layla3G], device 0: Analog PCM [Layla3G]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7

so is it possible to type: aplay -D hw:1,0  thewavefile.wav and specify the subdevice?
Or do I need to specify in my .asoundrc file an alias?  with -D hw:1,0 I get sound out of Layla's headphone port only.

If you have links to useful howtos or documentation, please let me know.

// Sal Aguinaga
// Northwestern University