[alsa-devel] Mac Pro problem with USB soundcard

James Ward jeward at torzo.com
Thu Jan 15 17:31:11 CET 2009

I'm running 64 Bit Sabayon Linux 4.0 r1 on a Mac Pro.  I have connected a Creative USB sound card and would like to use it as the default.

I tried these two .asoundrc files suggested by gnubien on #alsa:

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
}
ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
}

and:

created by wishie on #alsa 10-13-07
#Set the card you want to use here.. this example is for hw:1,0

pcm.snd_card {
        type hw
        card 1
#change "card 1" to the card number listed for your usb soundcard using cat /proc/asound/cards output
        device 0
}

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        ipc_key_add_uid false
        ipc_perm 0660
        slave {
                pcm "snd_card"
                rate 48000
                period_time 0
                period_size 1024
                buffer_time 0
                buffer_size 5120
        }
}

Either of these .asoundrc files result in the USB soundcard going away.  I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it back.  Please help.

James

--
Ward... James Ward
Linux System Administrator