[alsa-devel] RFC: snd_card_create() function

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 16:06:51 CET 2009

2009/1/12 Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de>:
> At Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:42:06 +0000,
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>>
>> Sounds good to me.
>> One can keep the wrapper outside of the kernel, and only available in
>> alsa-driver for those out of tree people.
>
> Yes, that's good.
> I think it'd be better to do that after one kernel-cycle later for a
> softer landing, though.

How soft do we need this?
The change is probably max of 3 lines of code per sound card that has
an out of tree driver.
The only one I am aware of is the xfi one. With the wrapper being more
than 3 lines of code being put into the kernel only to be removed
again seems a little un-necessary to me.
For internal kernel changes, I don't think we should care about out of
kernel drivers. None of the rest of the kernel developers go out of
their way for anything out-of-mainline.

Kind Regards

James