[alsa-devel] alsa-info security/privacy concerns

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jan 7 10:04:31 CET 2009

At Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:33:06 +0800,
Wu Fengguang wrote:

> Hi Jaroslav,
>
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 10:22:13AM +0200, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Wu Fengguang wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > The auto-uploading behavior of http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh
> > > makes it act like a spyware.
> >
> > The script always prompts before the upload action, so user can break it.
> > Just read the first dialog.
>
> What I'd like to add is a dedicated dialog for the warning message and
> let users interactively choose between yes/no for uploading.
>
> Doesn't it sound reasonable?

[Added Travis to Cc]

I like the idea.   We can give the following options:

- the greeting dialog informs that the script collects info, waits
  for Y/N or OK button.
- when --upload option is given, the data will be automatically
  uploaded.
- when --no-upload option is given, the data is just stored locally
  and quit.
- when neither options are given, show a dialog to ask to upload or
  not.