[alsa-devel] [patch] nvidia hdmi audio disabled with xorg "useEdid" option

Brian Hinz bphinz at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 4 18:25:25 CET 2009

Hi,

Attached is a patch to add the IDs necessary to enable the hdmi out on an Asus P5N-EM HDMI motherboard.  On a related note though, I'm trying to get this board set up as a mythtv and having some troubles getting both audio & video to work properly with my Soyo 32" LCD TV.  This is probably better directed to the nvidia forums, but since I'm submitting a patch anyway I figured I'll put the question out there just in case someone knows...  The issue I'm having is that the LCD TV has a huge amount of overscan in all modes, unless I direct the nVidia xorg driver to ignore the EDID, in which case the resolution is perfect but then the audio is disabled!  Obviously the EDID provides the TV's audio capabilities to the X driver, and so it stands to reason that in discarding this information the audio might not work, but is there any reason to think that this could be corrected in the alsa driver somehow or does the problem lie entirely in the nvidia binary X driver?  Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-brian