[alsa-devel] Timer instability

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Feb 24 19:59:36 CET 2009

At Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:46:05 +0100,
Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > > Ok, here's a little test case:
> > >
> > > http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=blob_plain;f=src/tests/alsa-time-test.c
> >
> > Finally have time to go back to this issue again now.
> >
> > With your test case, indeed I get abort(), too.  However, checking
> > through the code, you set stop_threshold to the boundary size like:
> >
> >     r = snd_pcm_sw_params_get_boundary(swparams, &boundary);
> >     r = snd_pcm_sw_params_set_stop_threshold(pcm, swparams, boundary);
> >
> > This means essentially you are disabling the XRUN detection in the
> > driver and keep it free-running.  So, no wonder avail gets over
> > buffer_size.  It's actually an XRUN condition, but just ignored due to
> > this setup.  (Usually, stop_threshould == buffer_size.)
>
> Yes, threshold is set to boundary. But that's intended. Remember that
> the original purpose of the tool is to graph _avail() and _delay()
> against the time. For that I want to make sure the that timing stays
> stable no matter what.
>
> In reality this setting should not matter at all, because most machines
> should be fast enough to keep the buffer filled even if we write one
> sample at a time as it is done in the example.

Not really.  If you feed the output to a terminal, it's damn slow.
That's why I got XRUN.

> The problems exposed in all the test data posted here for the various
> sound cards are not normal normal buffer underruns.

Well, basically "avail >= buffer_size" means the underrun per
definition.  The state isn't changed and kept as RUNNING just because
of the stop_threshold value.

> In summary: just ignore the setting of the stop threshold. It is not
> related to the problems exposed here.

FWIW, when I run the program and feed the output to /dev/null, I don't
get abort() after minutes.  It happened soon only when it runs on a
terminal.  So, the condition appears very likely as an XRUN.

So, try to set stop_threshold to buffer_size once, and check whether
you get any different result.  Let's check another possibility if it
really isn't the case.