[alsa-devel] Standard mixer control names

Pavel Hofman pavel.hofman at insite.cz
Tue Feb 24 13:05:28 CET 2009

Takashi Iwai wrote:

> I feel we need another meta data to manage / group the mixer elements.
> It'll be likely based on the per-driver database, or implemented as a
> module.  We have already a framework for mixer module, so it's
> feasible.  Where it's the best choice is another question, though.
>
> But, as now, it's still a vaporware.  So, let's assume to solve in
> PA.

Great to hear about the planned progress in this area. Many cards define
rather unintuitive but important mixer controls. Perhaps somehow we
could provide control elements with optional textual descriptions. If it
  was somewhere in alsa-lib configs, it would even allow for translation
via locales. GUI mixers could display the (localized) descriptions in
many creative ways.

Pavel.