[alsa-devel] clarification on mmap

Harsha, Priya priya.harsha at intel.com
Tue Feb 24 08:45:53 CET 2009

The exact issue I am facing is - if the data is mmaped or not I would want to know that the dma_area is filled and how much is filled so that I can setup the dma to transfer it to the hardware.

Can you suggest a way to do this?

Will the following help?

1. If the data is not mmaped, can I setup the transfer in .ack call to transfer the data copied from dma_area to hardware?
2. If the data is mmaped; In the .pointer call back, I get the exact hw pointer of how much has been played out. Here can I setup another transfer from dma_area?
3. How can I know internally in the driver if the application has mmaped the buffer or using the method of sending user buffers?

Thanks,
Harsha