[alsa-devel] idt blue jack patch

Tobin Davis tdavis at dsl-only.net
Thu Feb 19 04:22:52 CET 2009

Thought I'd add my $.02 here.  Traditionally, 5-stack boards have output
on Green (front), Black (rear), and Orange (Center/LFE) channels, and
Input on Pink (Mic) and Blue (Line).  But Blue is also reversable for
side output channels giving the user 7.1 surround sound.

Since these boards are designed to be used more for multimedia than
recording, the default of Blue being output in bios kind of makes sense.
Of course, it could also be a bios bug (it's been known to happen).

If you want to see what the codec is set for in Windows, download the
windows drivers from support.intel.com and look for the PCI subsysytem
id in the STHDA.inf file.  It will point to another inf file with the
default pin configs along with a ton of registry settings.

Hope this helps.

Tobin Davis
P.S. I've been monitoring development while finishing my degree.  I hope
to return to the fold here soon.

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 11:02 +0800, Wu Fengguang wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:24:58PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:44:26 +0100,
> > Vedran Miletić wrote:

> [sorry for being late]
>

> > > Can you find someone who has different board with same codec to verify
> > > how general issue this really is?
> >
> > In general, the pin config value can't be generic.
> > As port-C is a multi-purpose jack, I don't think this can be applied
> > to all cases.
>
> I made that hacking patch based on IDT's spec. The value I wrote is in
> fact the default value listed in the spec. So it's the Intel BIOS that
> changed the default value and make it an output pin.
>
> > So, now the question is when to apply -- under which condition.
> > Apparently, the BIOS of Paulo is broken.  And, Wu Fengguang's case
> > is unclear, whether it comes from BIOS or from a static pin cfg
> > table in patch_sigmatel.c.
>
> After rebooting and force using the generic codec, the 0x0c node still
> shows "Pin Default 0x01113014: [Jack] Speaker at Ext Rear". So the
> value is from the BIOS.
>
> The only problem is that the pin color is Blue both logically and
> physically, which should be input instead of output according to the
> convention of color codes.
>
> If you think it's OK, I can refine that patch for submitting.  The
> possible regression could be that users connecting speakers to that
> pin will find it no longer producing sound after upgrading kernel.
>
> Thanks,
> Fengguang

Tobin Davis

Don't go surfing in South Dakota for a while.