[alsa-devel] longname in sound/core/jack.c

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Feb 18 16:15:25 CET 2009

At Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:39:14 +0000,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 02:40:09PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure whether I've already asked it, but I find it ugly to
> > refer to card->longname for the input device name in
> > sound/core/jack.c.
>
> Yes, it was discussed at the time.  This was chosen because the input
> subsystems tends towards the verbose when giving names to devices.

Ah yes, but longname is still too ugly as an identifier, IMHO.
That's why I'm asking again.

At each time it's shown in kernel messages, I wonder what is that at
all.  It's hard to decode as "Jack..." string appears at the very last
of the name.

> > Can it be changed to card->shortname, at least?
>
> Obviously, it's just a display string.  I think what happened is that
> when I checked this on some desktop systems I misread card->id as being
> card->shortname in the /proc/asound output.  The former is far too
> cryptic to be idiomatic in the input subsystem.

Yeah, card->id is no good form.  card->shortname usually contains
the basic vendor and product names but without irq, i/o port or such
information as in longname.