[alsa-devel] ALSA layer in Linux 2.6.18 and OSS

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Feb 16 11:52:40 CET 2009

At Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:24:54 +0530,
Viral Mehta wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to make an application that does Audio playback and record.
> I have configured Kernel and Re-built it.
> I want to use only ALSA features. I have said "Yes" to all ALSA related
> options and "No" to all OSS related things.
>
> When I booted my kernel, I found that there was no "/dev/dsp" device and
> so my application was not able to run. The application opens "/dev/dsp"
> device first and then does other things.
>
> Next time, when I enabled few of the OSS options in kernel's config
> file. I was able to run my application. My question is I do not want OSS
> at all. I just need ALSA then in that case what I am doing wrong.

Well, rather a real question is which app / subsystem accessing the
OSS device and causes errors.  You can set up ALSA-only system in the
kernel side.  But if the user-space side requires the OSS API, it
won't work.

So,
- if you want to remove all OSS-accessing apps, fix them
or
- build ALSA OSS *emulation* module so that they work both
or
- use aoss wrapper instead