[alsa-devel] [Fwd: HP DV4 1155 SE - No Sound through, speakers...]

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Feb 16 11:47:12 CET 2009

At Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:25:15 -0600,
Guy Stalnaker wrote:

> Herton and Takashi,
>
> I can confirm that compiling and installing the latest snapshot of
> alsa-drivers, adding "model=hp-dv5" to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, and
> running hda-verb with the parameters Takashi indicates DOES result in
> sound from the onboard, internal speakers on my Hewlitt Packard dv4 1225
> Pavilion Entertainment PC.
>
> The mute on headphone use does not work, but that's okay by me for now.

Good.  Could you try the very latest alsa-driver-snapshot tarball?
Herton's patch is already included.  If your PCI SSID matches, it
should work as is.  If not, please run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload
option and attach the generated file.

> I think you're on the right track in diagnosing the problem and it's
> solution.
>
> Thank you very, very much for helping us.  I know it'll likely be a
> while before the solution actually makes it into distributions, but at
> the least I can use my sound apps without having to plug my laptop into
> something to hear what's playing.  Kinda defeats the notion of having a
> laptop if one has to keep it plugged in.
>
> Do either of you mind if I collate notes from the posts exchanged on
> alsa-devel and post them on the Ubuntu forums?  There are a lot of other
> HP users who have posted about the same problem.  It's likely they have
> no idea the resource available to them in the alsa-devel archives.

Sure, it's an open mailing list, so feel free to cite the thread.

Takashi