[alsa-devel] [Fwd: HP DV4 1155 SE - No Sound through speakers...]

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Sat Feb 14 11:24:15 CET 2009

At Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:22:00 -0500,
Tim Barnette wrote:

> ..And it worked!  I now have sound!  Can you tell me what I actually did here?

The problem was that your BIOS didn't set the correct default pin
configuration.  The driver doesn't know which pin should be used for
the speaker output, as a consequence, it's set as INPUT.
Now you set it OUTPUT manually by hda-verb, and (fortunately) the
route to that pin was alive even though it wasn't declared, you get
the speaker output now.

The next step is to implement a proper pin-config to override by
the driver.  This won't be much work, but hey, wait for a while.

(Or, did Herton already work on that?)

thanks,

Takashi