[alsa-devel] Juli@ ICE1724 and 24 bit audio

Pavel Hofman pavel.hofman at insite.cz
Wed Feb 11 09:38:42 CET 2009

Pavel Hofman napsal(a):
> Demian Martin napsal(a):
>> I confirmed that aplay and plughw:0,1 work fine. Aplay and hw:0,1
>> don't work
>> at all.
>>
>> And that Xine is the culprit. Now to find out how to fix/work around
>> Xine.
>>
>> Demian Martin
>> Product Design Services
>>

> The older aplay you most likely use does not support 24bit properly.
> Install the latest alsa-utils from git and you will be fine.

Sorry for confusion. Your aplay handles already 24bit correctly. ICE1724
supports only 32bit natively (as most modern cards do), and hw:0
correctly does not accept any other format. That is why plughw converts
your 24-bit format to 32bit - see the verbose output.

For testing purposes make a 32bit file (sox -V in.wav -4 32.wav), and
aplay -v -Dhw:0 32.wav will play fine.

Pavel

--

inSITE, s.r.o.