[alsa-devel] HD-audio modularization

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Feb 9 08:35:21 CET 2009

At Sun, 8 Feb 2009 11:20:13 +0100,
Florian Mickler wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:25:02 +0100
> Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>
> > At Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:34:35 +0100,
> > I wrote:
> > > A known issue is that "alsasound stop" may not work with this
> > > because of the explicit module refcount without dependency.  But
> > > it's a script problem, basically.  The similar problem must be
> > > there for snd-aoa, for example, too.
> >
> > FYI, the hda-modularization patches are now merged to master branch
> > on sound git tree.  The snapshot tarball includes this change as well.
>
> Hey! My system doesn't shutdown anymore! And i found it is the
> alsasound-stop problem.
>
> Is there no way to have snd_hda_intel listed in the used-by column of
> lsmod for snd_hda_codec_analog  ?
>
> how should that ''script problem'' be solved?
>
> up until now, the gentoo-initscript takes the lsmod output and removes
> recursively the dependancies of the /^snd_/ modules.
>
> a simple shootdown-script doesn't work:

For example, the recent SUSE init script has the following

  mod=$(grep -m1 -E '^(snd[^ ]*|ac97_bus) [0-9]+ 0' /proc/modules)
  while [ -n "$mod" ]; do
      mod=${mod%% *}
      /sbin/modprobe -r $mod
      mod=$(grep -m1 -E '^(snd[^ ]*|ac97_bus) [0-9]+ 0' /proc/modules)
  done

But, basically it's stupid to unload modules at shtudown/reboot, just
a waste of time.  If possible, you should check the next runlevel and
skip unloading if unnecessary.