[alsa-devel] [Fwd: HP DV4 1155 SE - No Sound through speakers...]

Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski herton at mandriva.com.br
Wed Feb 4 18:49:53 CET 2009

Em Quarta-feira 04 Fevereiro 2009, às 15:01:26, Jean-Pierre André escreveu:
> Hi Herton,
>
> I have identified why applying your patch broke the sound worse on my
> computer, by reverting each individual modification until the sound
> comes back. It has not brought overall improvements for me, but this
> might help you getting it right.

Hmm yes, for now just disregard my original patch, I think the default pin
configs inside it are not right/needed for HP laptops.

> On my computer, the main problem is an IRQ one, which I knew you did
> not address, but I still wanted to know if something would improve
> (see below)

<snip>

> Your patch contained the following, mostly deleting code which was
> replaced :
>
> -    switch (spec->board_config) {
> -    case STAC_HP_M4:
> -        /* enable internal microphone */
> -        stac92xx_set_config_reg(codec, 0x0e, 0x01813040);
> -        stac92xx_auto_set_pinctl(codec, 0x0e,
> -            AC_PINCTL_IN_EN | AC_PINCTL_VREF_80);
> -        /* fallthru */
> -    case STAC_DELL_M4_2:
> -        spec->num_dmics = 0;
> -        spec->num_smuxes = 0;
> -        spec->num_dmuxes = 0;
> -        break;
> -    case STAC_DELL_M4_1:
> -    case STAC_DELL_M4_3:
> -        spec->num_dmics = 1;
> -        spec->num_smuxes = 0;
> -        spec->num_dmuxes = 0;
> -        break;
> -    default:
> -        spec->num_dmics = STAC92HD71BXX_NUM_DMICS;
> -        spec->num_smuxes = ARRAY_SIZE(stac92hd71bxx_smux_nids);
> -        spec->num_dmuxes = ARRAY_SIZE(stac92hd71bxx_dmux_nids);
> -    };
>
>      spec->multiout.num_dacs = 1;
>      spec->multiout.hp_nid = 0x11;
>      spec->multiout.dac_nids = stac92hd71bxx_dac_nids;
> -    if (spec->dinput_mux)
> -        spec->private_dimux.num_items +=
> +    spec->private_dimux.num_items +=
>              spec->num_dmics -
>                  (ARRAY_SIZE(stac92hd71bxx_dmic_nids) - 1);
>
> The main bad thing is the following line which is indicated as
> unchanged, but which does not appear in alsa 1.0.19, so I cannot
> tell if this line is wrong by itself or if this line requires some
> other code not present in alsa 1.0.19. With this line present I
> get no sound at all :
>
>      spec->multiout.num_dacs = 1;
>
> The second point is you have deleted and not replaced the
> following :
>
> -        /* enable internal microphone */
> -        stac92xx_set_config_reg(codec, 0x0e, 0x01813040);
> -        stac92xx_auto_set_pinctl(codec, 0x0e,
> -            AC_PINCTL_IN_EN | AC_PINCTL_VREF_80);
>
> This line is required to get a PCM control in the sound volume
> controls. It is also related to getting the following in the syslog :
>
> Line In at Ext Rear Jack as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/input/input61
>
> To me, "internal microphone", "PCM control" and "Line In at Ext Rear Jack"
> are different things (and in my computer there is no rear jack !), so
> there must be something wrong in the configuration.

I don't know now if the default pin configs in my patch had something
missing/wrong, or something in current patch_sigmatel.c autoconfig code needs
this additional forced line-in to avoid hitting some case, but I thought it's
better to let away the pin configs I added. In the new patches I rebased and
posted the forced line-in is left unchanged.

--
[]'s
Herton