[alsa-devel] Creative X-Fi USB 5.1 Driver

Mandar Joshi emailmandar at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 17:57:58 CET 2009

>>Does this mean thet the X-Fi,Crystalizer features of the USB X-Fi are implemented purely in software?
I think this might be the case.
I started SniffUSB under WindowsXP and tried changing the settings using
the audio console software provided by Creative.

When changing the Speaker selection (2.1/4.1/5.1), data is sent over usb to the device.
However, when I try to change the settings for the X-Fi Crystalizer or EAX or CMSS-3D or Graphic Equalizer
nothing gets sent to the device but the audio output does change and I am able to hear the corresponding effects.

And as mentioned in my previous post, the lsusb output doesn't show any effect descriptors or feature units

If this is in fact true that all the xtreme fidelity(X-Fi) stuff is happening in software alone, my purchase has been
a total waste!! Does anybody on this list have a USB X-Fi 5.1 that they can use to verify my observations?

BTW, the mailing list seems to be creating separate threads for every post I make even though
the subject line is the same. What am I missing? I'm using Yahoo Mail.

Regards
Mandar Joshi