[alsa-devel] usr/include/linux/soundcard.h warnings for 'make headers_check'

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Feb 4 12:43:03 CET 2009

At Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:01:37 +0530,
Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 11:52 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Wed, 04 Feb 2009 16:07:57 +0530,
> > Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:
> > >
> > > In kernel space we use USE_SEQ_MACROS in:
> > > sound/oss/mpu401.c
> > > sound/oss/midi_synth.c
> > >
> > > so we can replace
> > > #if (!defined(__KERNEL__) && !defined(KERNEL) && !defined(INKERNEL) && !defined(_KERNEL)) || defined(USE_SEQ_MACROS)
> > > with
> > > #ifdef USE_SEQ_MACROS
> >
> > Then this will break user-space apps.  They don't define
> > USE_SEQ_MACROS always.
> >

> If userspace apps are coming through sys/soundcard.h

It's not always true -- that's the whole problem I'm concerned.
Apparently old apps do include linux/soundcard.h.

I agree to remove the stuff causing warnings, i.e. moving oss-lib part
to sys/soundcard.h.  In this case, the only possible regression is the
case where apps use OSS-lib and include linux/soundcard.h.  For other
cases (use sequencer stuff with linux/soundcard.h but without
oss-lib), it will still work.