[alsa-devel] Confusion about whether snd_pcm_poll_descriptors_revents()'s revents field is a single integer or an array

Lennart Poettering mznyfn at 0pointer.de
Mon Feb 2 15:49:13 CET 2009

On Mon, 02.02.09 08:02, Takashi Iwai (tiwai at suse.de) wrote:

> > If we look into the pcm example how snd_pcm_poll_descriptors_revents()
> > is used then we can see that the revents parameter apparently is
> > supposed to be a single integer. (which makes a lot of sense to me)
> >
> > http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/_2test_2pcm_8c-example.html#a33
> >
> > However, snd_pcm_wait_nocheck() calls the same function and assumes it
> > is a complete array!
> >
> > http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git;a=blob;f=src/pcm/pcm.c;h=74d1d1a4bd6083cd461b6d793c0ae41cca912f16;hb=HEAD#l2368
> >
> > So what's it now? It makes more sense to me if it would be a single
> > fd.
>
> No, it's a bug in test/pcm.c.  As documented, the API converts (fixes)
> each poll_fd in the given array.

But does that really make sense? I mean
snd_pcm_poll_descriptors_revents() is supposed to be called by
applications that integrate ALSA into some kind of event loop. What
are they supposed to do with those multiple entries -- except simply
ORing them together and treating them as one? The application has no
information what those seperate fds mean, so why export that
information to the app?