[alsa-devel] RME HDSP rev 37 does not work on 64-bit linux

Dmitry Baikov dsbaikov at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 16:13:14 CET 2009

Hello,

recently I upgraded firmware for my RME HDSP (Cardbus + Multiface II)
to recent version,
to be able to use it under WinXP 64, since there's no 64-bit windows
driver for old hdsp firmware.
And the results under linux are surprising:
My main OS is Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit, and there hdspmixer fails with the message:

Card 1 : RME Hammerfall DSP at 0x130000000, irq 18
Uninitialized HDSP card found.
Use hdsploader to upload configuration data to the card.
No Hammerfall DSP card found.

Trying to run hdsploader gives:

Card 1 : RME Hammerfall DSP at 0x130000000, irq 18
Upload firmware for card hw:1
Hwdep ioctl error on card hw:1 : Input/output error.

dmesg:
Hammerfall-DSP: wait for FIFO status <= 0 failed after 30 iterations

This happens even if I boot into winxp first to initialize multiface,
then reboot into linux and do not run hdsploader.

BUT:
under 32-bit ubuntu 8.10 with the same kernel 2.6.27-11-generic and
the same version of alsa-*: 1.0.17-0ubuntu1,
everything works fine both with cold boot + hdsploader and winxp ->
reboot-> no hdsploader.

Regards,
Dmitry.