[alsa-devel] Installing a "different" version of Alsa

Brian Welch Brian-Welch at cox.net
Mon Dec 21 07:34:03 CET 2009

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 12:47:28 +0000
From: Mark Brown <broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com>
Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] Installing a "different" version of Alsa
To: Brian Welch <Brian-Welch at cox.net>
Cc: alsa-devel at alsa-project.org

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 09:48:16PM -0700, Brian Welch wrote:

>> When I use kbuild to build my custom sound hardware driver against the
>> SDK
>> in the kernel, it always trys to pick up the older ALSA header files that
>> are in the
>> SDK, but I want to use the newer versions that are in the directory with
>> the newer
>> version of ALSA.  What the best way to make sure I get the correct
>> headers?
>> Is what I'm trying "dangerous" and should I be going about this a
>> different way?

> The best way of integrating with the toolchain you're using will usually
> depend on the toolchain - you'll generally be able to get better advice
> about how to work with the toolchain by asking people who work with the
> toolchain.

I guess I don't understand exactly what you mean by "toolchain."  I've
already
contacted the people that package up the SDK and they said I should solve it
myself.  I originally hoped that I could just re-build the kernel without
Alsa
built-in, then add my new version of Alsa, but they claim that causes other
issues (i.e. no sound at all).