[alsa-devel] HD-Audio device unsuppored (Nvidia G2xx-series GPU implemented)

Michal Halva hedik99 at seznam.cz
Fri Dec 18 01:09:33 CET 2009

Takashi Iwai <tiwai <at> suse.de> writes:

> It might be also the video driver side.
> For example, when a wrong EDID is set up in X config, the audio part also
> doesn't work.  There were similar bug reports with the older Nvidia cihpset.

definitely - but changing driver versions does not help - tried
185.x,190.x,195.x with the same results
replugging HDMI cable from receiver directly to TV or using custom EDID in
xorg.conf does not help either

> Of course, it can be a driver bug.  How did you test exactly?
> A preferred way is to run like:
> 	% aplay -Dhdmi foo.wav
> It might be -Dhdmi:1, too, depending on the h/w.
>
> Let's check firstly from the 2ch samples.

I was testing with speaker-test -c2 -Dhdmi ... interestingly enough alsa-driver
1.0.22 behaves differently than 1.0.21

1.0.21 - no warning message in kernel log, speaker test was switching amongst
channels (like it was really playing something)

1.0.22 - warning message in kernel log
[   10.096043] ALSA hda_intel.c:694: azx_get_response timeout, switching to
polling mode: last cmd=0x100f0000
speaker-test/aplay just hangs forever until ^C

in both cases neither av receiver nor tv detects any audio on HDMI

> Takashi

Thanks,

Michal