[alsa-devel] ASoC DAI on Atmel AT32AP7000

Christos Nikolaou sv1eia at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 12:13:45 CEST 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Mark
Brown<broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 09:41:59PM +0300, Christos Nikolaou wrote:
>> Up to 2.6.28 the ASoC framework was working on AT32AP7000 Atmel platform.
>> Now I try to recompile it on 2.6.31-rc8 and I get
>> Advance Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.20.
>> No device for DAI atmel-ssc0
>> No device for DAI atmel-ssc1
>> No device for DAI atmel-ssc2
> That's fine, these are just warning messages and have no actual effect
> on operation.

So that means these are generated but the codec driver will eventually
work right?

>> whereas the ssc devices are properly (as in 2.6.28) initialized
>> ssc ssc.0: Atmel SSC device at 0xffe1c00 (irq 10)
>> ssc ssc.1: Atmel SSC device at 0xffe2000 (irq 11)
>> ssc ssc.2: Atmel SSC device at 0xffe2400 (irq 12)
> This is outside the control of ASoC - it's generated by the core SSC
> support in drivers/misc/atmel-ssc.c.  Probably you're missing code to
> register the SSC device in your board file, you should be calling
> add_device_ssc() somewhere in your arch/arm code and ssc_request() in
> your machine file.

These statements are already there and the output shown is the drivers
being intilized properly, this output is on the same log as the No
device for DAI errors, I was displaying it here to show that although
the devices are initialized ASoC reports an error

>> It looks that this message comes from snd_soc_register_dai in soc-core.c
>> if (!dai->dev)
>>          printk(KERN_WARNING "No device for DAI %s\n", dai->name);
>> it seems for some reason it thinks there is no device in dai->dev
> Yes, the reason for this being that the Atmel driver currently doesn't
> make any effort to initialise the device.  At the minute that's purely a
> cosmetic error.  Before it becomes an actual problem the drivers will be
> updated to fill in a device.

So in a feature version, the Atmel platform to ASoC glue drivers like
playpaq_wm8510.c will initialize the required drivers (probably
filling the ssc pointer I guess) but as for the time being that
non-initialization does not create any problems right?