[alsa-devel] unable to do simultaneous playback and recording

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Aug 20 08:39:19 CEST 2009

At Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:45:40 +0530 (IST),
prashant chopade wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As per discussion, I know that ALSA driver does not have support for
> simultaneous playback and recording.

Huh?  The full-duplex is of course supported.
Your example shown in the thread doesn't indicate the multi playbacks
or so.

> We are using AD1981B codec, so our hardware has a support for
> simultaneous playback and recording of an audio.

I think you are confused.

> So what exactly I have to do to get a support for simultaneous
> playback and recording?
> Shall I have to use sound server demons?
>
> Is it really possible to do simultaneous playback and recording in
> linux?

Define your meaning of "simultaneous playback and recording" more
exactly.

If it's about full-duplex, the answer is definitely yes.
If it's multi-streams, the answer is yes, but there are choices, e.g.
dmix/dsnoop plugin or a sound server.

Takashi