[alsa-devel] [BUG] NULL pointer dereference in patch_sigmatel.c

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Thu Aug 6 15:41:27 CEST 2009

Takashi Iwai wrote On 17-07-2009 12:45:
> At Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:33:08 +0200,
> I wrote:
>
>> At Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:51:50 +0300,
>> Ozan Çağlayan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> One of our users is having a NULL ptr dereference upon loading the
>>> snd_hda_intel module with 20090624's snapshot. There's only one commit
>>> after that date in patch_sigmatel.c so I didn't tell him to try with the
>>> latest snapshot but if you think that the bug may be related to another
>>> part of the ALSA codebase, I can make him try the latest snapshot.
>>>
>> I suppose you are using unstable tree, right?
>>

> Looking through the stack trace, it's not...

Okay I've founded the problem. Here's the relevant code portion that
I've got from gdb:

(gdb) list *cxt5051_init+0x90
0xdf4 is in cxt5051_init
(/var/pisi/alsa-driver-1.0.20_20090805-41/work/alsa-driver/pci/hda/../../alsa-kernel/pci/hda/patch_conexant.c:384).
379             jack->type = type;
380
381             err = snd_jack_new(codec->bus->card, name, type,
&jack->jack);
382             if (err < 0)
383                     return err;
384             jack->jack->private_data = jack;
385             jack->jack->private_free = conexant_free_jack_priv;
386             return 0;
387     }
388

and then I've checked the mainline linus-2.6 and found out the following
commit:

commit 95c0909961bc5ff18c78b2ab0d093cddc0a8b0b5