[alsa-devel] Fwd: HDA Intel IDT 92HD71B7X - HP Pavilion DV7-1299EF - Subwoofer not Working

Wael Nasreddine (a.k.a eMxyzptlk) mla at nasreddine.com
Sun Aug 2 01:15:29 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Takashi Iwai<tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> At Tue, 28 Jul 2009 20:07:29 +0200,
> Wael Nasreddine (a.k.a eMxyzptlk) wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>>
>>     At Sat, 25 Jul 2009 21:44:46 +0200,
>>     Wael Nasreddine (a.k.a eMxyzptlk) wrote:
>>     >
>>     > I still got no solution for this problem,
>>
>>     Which problem?
>>     It'd be helpful if you give a problem summary and what you've done
>>     until now (and don't do top-posting)...
>>
>>     thanks,
>>
>>     Takashi
>>
>> Hi Takashi,
>>
>> I'm sorry I didn't notice that the problem wasn't quoted in my last message,
>> anyway the whole topic is included in the forwarded message below, I tried
>> using hda-verb and hda-analyzer, like you suggested in one of your emails, but
>> since I don't even know what I'm looking for nor what to try, I did not got
>> too far!
>>
>> What else do you suggest? Are you aware of anyone having a similar issue I can
>> query to help me figure it out ?
>
> First off, try the very latest alsa-driver snapshot.
>  ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz
>
> The problem is that BIOS sets only one stereo speaker in the pin
> configuration, so the driver cannot know what to do with another
> speaker.  In short, it's a BIOS bug.
>
> To overcome that, you need to figure out which pin corresponds to the
> speaker.  The rest available (analog) output pins are 0x0f and 0x14.
> Set these as output pins, and connect to DAC.  For example,
>
>        # hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x0f SET_PIN_WID 0x40
>        # hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x0f SET_CONN 0
>
> which enables the output of the pin 0x0f, then connects to the first
> DAC (= 0x10).  Similarly,
>
>        # hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x14 SET_PIN_WID 0x40
>        # hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x15 SET_CONN 0
>
> which enables the output of the pin 0x14, then changes the connection
> of its mux (0x15) to the first DAC (0x10).
>
> If these don't help, it's possible that some GPIO bits play any role.
> Play with GPIO bits, which can be also changed via hda-verb.
>

> Takashi

Takashi,

I tried what you have suggested, I played with the pins a bit tried
other combinations as well (All on the latest alsa snapshot) but I
still have the same problem, the sound comes up from only the left
speaker..

Could you be a little more specific about the GPIO bits??

Thank you so much for helping me!!

Regards,
Wael

--
Wael Nasreddine

Blog    : http://wael.nasreddine.com
E-mail  : wael.nasreddine at gmail.com
gTalk   : wael.nasreddine at gmail.com
Tel     : +33.6.32.94.70.13
Skype   : eMxyzptlk
Twitter : @eMxyzptlk

Sabayon Linux Chief Development Officer - http://www.sabayonlinux.org

PGP: 1024D/C8DD18A2 06F6 1622 4BC8 4CEB D724  DE12 5565 3945 C8DD 18A2

.: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
   would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.