[alsa-devel] 2.6.29 regression: left audio channel broken after resume from suspend with Intel HDA

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Tue Apr 28 02:23:09 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:41:14 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:21:13 +0200,
> Tino Keitel wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:01:40 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > The codec communication looks a bit unstable on this device...
> > > Does this still happen on the latest 2.6.30 version?
> >
> > Yes, at least with 2.6.30-rc3. I reloaded snd-hda-intel a few times,
> > and at some point /etc/init.d/alsa-utils start complained, I guess
> > because some index numbers in  the mixer changed.
>
> And this happens because the codec doesn't respond properly any more.
> So, something triggers to screw up the communication with the codec.
> I have no idea right now.  Possibly you can bisect the changes against
> sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c...

The problem is that I don't have a reliable way to trigger this bug. It
just happens sometimes.

I just saw another, major problem: line in doesn't work anymore with
2.6.29 and also 2.6.30-rc3 (no usable input level). It works with
2.6.27.20.

So it seems that all newer kernels are pretty broken on this hardware
regarding sound.

Regards,
Tino