[alsa-devel] module snd-atiixp issue with suspend/hibernate/resume

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Thu Apr 30 04:42:10 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Ryan Dunn <oryandunn.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Compaq V2000 laptop with the ATI IXP chipset and make use of the
> snd-atiixp module.  The laptop needs to have the ac97_quirk option set to 7
> to enable the mute LED.  After setting this option in the
> /etc/modprobe.d/options.conf file, the mute LED works after a reboot.
> However, after a resume from suspend or hibernate, the mute LED does not
> work.  The alsa-info.sh script reports that the quirk is still set with 7.
> At this point a reboot will NOT fix the problem.  The only way to fix it is
> to remove and reinsert the module with modprobe.
>
> This is on a fresh Ubuntu 9.04 install.  Any ideas?  I wasn't sure if this
> should be reported here or on the kernel list.  I saw a similar issue with
> the ac97_quirk on the kernel list and they were referred here.  I'm a
> software developer, so I'd be willing to try ideas/possible solutions if you
> have them.

Get the Ubuntu source code for the package that owns that ALSA driver,
find the place in the driver's initialization code where ac97_quirk=7
is handled, then check the driver's suspend and resume callbacks and
make sure the suspend callback is correctly saving the LED state and
that the resume callback is re-initializing the LED from the saved
state in the same way the init code does.  grep and printk() are your
friends ;-)

HTH,

Lee