[alsa-devel] 6-channel output and i2s

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Apr 29 15:04:32 CEST 2009

At Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:58:52 -0400,
Jon Smirl wrote:

> My hardware was has three stereo i2s lines. These three lines are all
> tied to the same external clock so they are synchronized. Because
> there are three i2s lines, each with it's own DMA queue and FIFO, I
> need three independent output buffers. What is the correct way to set
> this up in ALSA?

So I suppose it's three streams of 2-ch interleaved format?
If so, an easier way would be to provide three substreams in a PCM,
and bind 6 channels with alsa-lib plugin.

Another possible way would be to set up channel_info to point a proper
offset for each channel.  But, this is less common and maybe more
problematic.