[alsa-devel] Speaker and Headphone Output problem with ALC1200

Thomas Pietrzak Thomas.pietrzak at univ-metz.fr
Mon Apr 20 10:07:11 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have a MSI GX720-061 laptop, and I unfortunately experiment the
"Speaker and Headphone Output" problem.

The sound card is the following:

$ lspci |grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)

$ aplay -l
**** Liste des PLAYBACK périphériques ****
carte  0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 0 : ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200
Analog]
  Sous-périphériques: 0/1
  Sous-périphérique: #0: subdevice #0
carte  0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 1 : ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200
Digital]
  Sous-périphériques: 1/1
  Sous-périphérique: #0: subdevice #0
carte  0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 6 : Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
  Sous-périphériques: 1/1
  Sous-périphérique: #0: subdevice #0

Note that in Ubuntu Intrepid it was recognized as ALC888. However my
problem remains in Jaunty.

These are the alsa packages I have (Ubuntu Jaunty):
$ dpkg -l |grep alsa
ii  alsa-base                                  1.0.18.dfsg-1ubuntu6
               ALSA driver configuration files
ii  alsa-oss                                   1.0.17-1
               ALSA wrapper for OSS applications
ii  alsa-tools                                 1.0.18-1ubuntu2
               Console based ALSA utilities for specific ha
ii  alsa-tools-gui                             1.0.18-1ubuntu2
               GUI based ALSA utilities for specific hardwa
ii  alsa-utils                                 1.0.18-1ubuntu10
               ALSA utilities
ii  alsamixergui                               0.9.0rc2-1-9
               graphical soundcard mixer for ALSA soundcard
ii  alsaplayer-alsa                            0.99.80-3ubuntu1
               PCM player designed for ALSA (ALSA output mo
ii  alsaplayer-common                          0.99.80-3ubuntu1
               PCM player designed for ALSA (common files)
ii  alsaplayer-gtk                             0.99.80-3ubuntu1
               PCM player designed for ALSA (GTK version)
ii  bluez-alsa                                 4.32-0ubuntu3
               Bluetooth audio support
ii  gnome-alsamixer                            0.9.7~cvs.20060916.ds.1-2
              ALSA sound mixer for GNOME
ii  gstreamer0.10-alsa                         0.10.22-4
               GStreamer plugin for ALSA
ii  libesd-alsa0                               0.2.40-0ubuntu3
               Enlightened Sound Daemon (ALSA) - Shared lib
ii  libpt-1.10.10-plugins-alsa                 1.10.10-2ubuntu3
               Portable Windows Library Audio Plugin for th
ii  libpt2.4.2-plugins-alsa                    2.4.2-2ubuntu1
               PTLib audio plugin for the ALSA Interface
rc  libsdl1.2debian-alsa                       1.2.13-2ubuntu1
               Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA

This is my kernel:

$ uname -a
Linux rigel 2.6.28-11-generic #38-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 27 10:01:17 UTC
2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My problem is that I can't have both 7.1 sound and headphones working.
If I add this line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:
options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig position_fix=0

I have 7.1 sound. But if I plug my headphones, I have sound on both
headphones and PC speakers. The only way to mute the speakers and still
have sound in the headphones is to uncheck "headphones" in the settings
tab of the gnome mixer, and to mute "center" and "LFE".

I tried the option probe_mask=1 that is recommended for ALC1200, but it
didn't changed anything.

I found a solution by googleing. It suggested to add this instead:
options snd-hda-intel model=targa-2ch-dig
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

In this case I only have headphones when I plug my headphones. However I
don't have 7.1 sound anymore, but only stereo.

Can someone help me to make my headphones work normally with 7.1 sound?

Please feel free to ask me any information you need.

Many thanks,

- ---
Tom