[alsa-devel] No sound with Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook (CA0110-IBG)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Apr 17 16:46:09 CEST 2009

At Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:40:23 +0600,
Ivan Mironov wrote:

> Hello. I'm trying to get sound from my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
> Xtreme Audio Notebook (it's expresscard) with fresh ALSA drivers (I
> tried both alsa-driver-snapshot and alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot from
> 16.04.2009).

Avoid unstable version right now.  alsa-driver-snapshot already
contains CA0110 patch.

> I can change mixer values in alsamixer, but no sound
> output. For example:

> $ speaker-test -D plughw:1,0
>
> speaker-test 1.0.19
>
> Playback device is plughw:1,0
> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> Playback open error: -22,Invalid argument
> Playback open error: -22,Invalid argument
> Playback open error: -22,Invalid argument
> ^C
>
> at this time ALSA kernel driver gives an error in dmesg:

> ALSA /home/ivan/stuff/alsa-driver/acore/pcm_native.c:2040:
> snd_pcm_hw_constraints_complete failed
> ALSA /home/ivan/stuff/alsa-driver/acore/pcm_native.c:2040:
> snd_pcm_hw_constraints_complete failed
> ALSA /home/ivan/stuff/alsa-driver/acore/pcm_native.c:2040:
> snd_pcm_hw_constraints_complete failed
>
> What should I do? Here is some information:

Could you run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload option, and attach the
generated file?

The problem is likely that the codec doesn't respond properly as
expected by the driver regarding the PCM parameter inquiry.
We can debug using hda-verb, for example...

thanks,