[alsa-devel] getting HDAudio IDs

Scott Serr serrs at theserrs.net
Wed Apr 15 00:09:19 CEST 2009

Hi All,

I've found a great way to get HDAudio vendor/device IDs when audio
drivers are loaded: /proc/asound/card?/codec?

But to remake my particular (barebones) distro with with audio support,
it will be repetitive and time consuming.  I'm wondering what would be
involved in making a user space utility that would return the HDAudio ID?

A guy on #alsa came up with some good ideas.  Potentially following the
lead of others directly accessing the hardware from user space
http://samba.org/picturebook/ but using libpci instead.  Maybe we can
use "single cmd mode" so we don't need interrupts.

My original idea:
It might be that a smart developer could grab a bunch of alsa/hdaudio
driver source and torture it into userland.... just to get these IDs.

Should I quit now?  Is it doable?  Are there people here with the
skills/experience to do this?

BTW, in the kernel config:
#CONFIG_SOUND is not set

Thanks,