[alsa-devel] Ubuntu sound problem - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1073090

jesse fillion jessefillion24 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 9 18:19:42 CEST 2009

Good afternoon,

My name is Jesse. Forgive me if this is not the correct address to be sending this type of request to, but I am looking for support in getting the Alsa drivers to work correctly with HP DV4 laptops. The DV4 1228ca has a Azalia RS780 soundcard. I have the ability to hear music through the headphone jack, but not the internal speakers (please see ubuntu forum for additional information).
I would truly appreciate any information you could provide. Thank you.

-Jesse

Hi, I'm relatively new to Ubuntu and would be thrilled for any assistance anyone can provide me with this problem. I have an HP DV4 1228ca. Just like everyone, I did have sound through my front audio jack and could listen to with headphones. Unfortunately after trying all of your helpful suggestions, I don't even have audio in my front jack anymore. If I go into my sound properties, it doesnt seem to recognize my sound card anymore. I beleive this has to do with the entry in the alsa base file.
Here are my results:

"[code]#> ./configure --enable-dynamic-minors
#> make"

winblows at ubuntu:~/Desktop/AlsaDriver/alsa-driver$ make
make dep
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/winblows/Desktop/AlsaDriver/alsa-driver'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/winblows/Desktop/AlsaDriver/alsa-driver/acore'
copying file alsa-kernel/core/info.c
/home/winblows/Desktop/AlsaDriver/alsa-driver/utils/patch-alsa: 24: patch: not found
make[2]: *** [info.c] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/winblows/Desktop/AlsaDriver/alsa-driver/acore'
make[1]: *** [dep] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/winblows/Desktop/AlsaDriver/alsa-driver'
make: *** [include/sndversions.h] Error 2

#> sudo make install-modules

This is where my noobishness may shine through. I wasn't quite sure what to take from the make process above so I continued...
winblows at ubuntu:~/Desktop/AlsaDriver/alsa-driver$ sudo make install-modules
[sudo] password for winblows:
find /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/kernel/sound -name 'snd*.*o' | xargs rm -f
find /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/kernel/sound -name 'snd*.*o.gz' | xargs rm -f
find /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/kernel/sound -name 'ac97_bus.*o' | xargs rm -f
find /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/kernel/sound -name 'ac97_bus.*o.gz' | xargs rm -f
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/winblows/Desktop/AlsaDriver/alsa-driver/acore'
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/kernel/sound/acore
cp snd-hrtimer.ko snd-hwdep.ko snd-page-alloc.ko snd-pcm.ko snd-rawmidi.ko snd-timer.ko snd.ko /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/kernel/sound/acore
cp: cannot stat `snd-hrtimer.ko': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `snd-hwdep.ko': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `snd-page-alloc.ko': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `snd-pcm.ko': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `snd-rawmidi.ko': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `snd-timer.ko': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `snd.ko': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [modules_install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/winblows/Desktop/AlsaDriver/alsa-driver/acore'
make: *** [install-modules] Error 1

#> sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
[add 'options snd_hda_intel model=hp-dv5' sans quotes to the bottom of the file, even if you have a dv4, etc.]

I have tried each of the following, rebooting in between them:

options snd_hda_intel model=hp-dv5

options snd_hda_intel model=hp-dv4

# Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-1
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

# Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=hp=dv4
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

I have also tried using the 3.4 compiler and "unstable" alsa snapshot package recommended by uticamarco.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be most grateful. Thank you very much.

 Jesse