[alsa-devel] GeForce 8200 HD audio seems to work!

Vedran Miletić rivanvx at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 01:20:36 CEST 2008

I just installed Linux on ASROCK GeForce 8200 board. Being a
relatively new chipset, I had a couple of issues booting older
kernels, finally settling for Debian lenny since it had a CD that
booted. I was worried about onboard audio, since it's one of thousands
of HD audio solutions, and I expected to have problems with it.
To make the long story short:
1.0.16 -> only noise, doesn't sound close to track played
1.0.17 -> sound + lots of noise, but you can recongnize the song that is playing
takashi's sound-2.6 -> everything works (including front panel) + HDMI
audio seeems to be supported

Massive props to whoever made it work.

I just have two questions:
1) On RS690 I used to have separate device for RS690/RS780 HDMI (that
is HDA ATI and HDA ATI HDMI), on NVIDIA I only have HDA NVIDIA, which
has subdevice for HDMI, why?
2) alsamixer says: Card: HDA NVidia | Chip: Generic 10de NVIDIA MCP78
HDMI. Shouldn't chip be "Realtek ALC662 rev1" or something like that?
Also, why does it say Generic 10de? Where is that read from?

Vedran Miletić