[alsa-devel] Compiling an Alsa plugin with Intel compiler.

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Sep 25 12:23:49 CEST 2008

At Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:13:14 +0300,
Motti Daniel wrote:

> Hello people!
>
> I'm working on an Alsa plugin for the Xandros Linux distribution
> my plugin runs very well except it consume about 20% of resources
> from the target machine (eee pc at 1.6Ghz)
> I'm trying to compile the same code with Intel Compiler (version 10.1.017)
> (before that it was compiled with gcc 4.1.2)
> the plugin compiles well but when I try to play music it tells me that
> the plugin library (the .so file in /usr/lib/alsa-lib/ is not there.

What exactly is the error message?
It's a big difference between non-existing file and non-defined
symbol.

> I tried to analyze the symbols in the executable and found that the
> difference between gcc and Intel compiler is a list of symbols with
> a suffix __FUNCTION__ or __PRETTY_FUNCTION__
> is this the problem?

I don't think so.  These should be replaced at compile time, and you
must get relevant compile errors/warnings.

> any suggestions?
> can you tell me  what are the minimum alsa requirements from a dynamic
> library so it can be loaded and run as an Alsa plugin?

First, check whether your plugin was properly opened and symbol
resolution worked.  The alsa-lib calls snd_dlopen() to open the
plugin, and call snd_dlsym() for symbols.  Catch them via gdb or so.

There are configure checks for dlopen, etc, defining
CONFIG_HAVE_LIBDL.  Make sure that this passed in your case.