[alsa-devel] Guide to Linux Sound APIs

Lennart Poettering mznyfn at 0pointer.de
Thu Sep 25 02:23:15 CEST 2008

On Wed, 24.09.08 17:17, Aaron J. Grier (agrier at poofygoof.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 09:05:14AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Lennart Poettering <mznyfn at 0pointer.de> writes:
> >
> > > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/guide-to-sound-apis
> > >
> > > I'd be very thankful for comments, especially from you Takashi and
> > > Jaroslav since it contains quite some details about the "safe" subset
> > > of the ALSA API!
> > >
> > > I'm thankful for all kinds of input!
> >
> > I'm very thankful that you've made this positive contribution. It is
> > sorely needed, and I hope it will spur greater collaboration.
>
> how finalized is the "safe ALSA subset" to mention it in the ALSA docs?
> I am an embedded developer new to ALSA and am still a bit bewildered on
> best-practices.

Dunno. This guide is just something I wrote up as someone who knows
the ALSA API quite well I think. However, I am mostly just a developer
*using* the API, not a developer *writing* the API.

If you want some reliable, "official" opinions, then wait until Takashi
and Jaroslav commented on this. They are certainly the ones whose
endorsing or not-endorsing of this guide matters the most.

Lennart