[alsa-devel] Problems with pulseaudio / asla on PS3

Lennart Poettering mznyfn at 0pointer.de
Mon Sep 8 22:21:36 CEST 2008

On Fri, 05.09.08 21:02, Kevin Gilbert (kevin952 at tpg.com.au) wrote:

> Hi Takashi,
>
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Takashi Iwai opined:
> > Well, it's no bug in softvol, at least.  The softvol doesn't do any
> > format or layout conversions.  The layout conversion is done via plug
> > plugin applied onto the softvol.
>
> OK (not that I fully understand what you have said) but where does that leave
> me? Is there something that I should try? Some ALSA or kernel configuration
> option that might be in error?

Takashi, as Kevin wrote originally, the problem is not that softvol
doesn't do any format/layout conversions, but that it claims it
does. PA asks softvol for INTERLEAVED samples, softvol agrees to
that -- and actually hands us only NONINTERLEAVED samples because it
doesn't reformat the from the underlying layer.

So, it *is* a bug in softvol. However, you are right that it doesn't
do any conversions.

Lennart