[alsa-devel] Playing silence instead of pausing during underrun

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu Sep 4 17:04:32 CEST 2008

If I understand it correctly, when ALSA detects an underrun during playback, it
throttles the driver by sending pause and resume commands.

It turns out that our hardware doesn't really like this.  We're looking at
various solutions, but one proposal would be to keep the hardware running during
a pause, but just have it play silence instead.  That is, ALSA keeps feeding
silence data during an underrun recovery.

Is there an easy way to do this in ALSA?  Is there another driver that does this?

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale