[alsa-devel] alsa-lib, dmix, and snd_pcm_open_conf function

Simon Tremblay bidou at videotron.qc.ca
Mon Sep 1 19:05:36 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have a problem using dmix on my embedded system (manual installation of
alsa-lib 1.0.15)

When I play a sound with aplay, it works well.

When I try -D dmix or -D plug:dmix parameter, it doesn't work.

The output is:

aplay: main:547: audio open error: Operation not permitted

I located my problem in alsa-lib, around line 2154 of alsa-lib/src/pcm/pcm.c:

err = snd_pcm_open_conf(pcmp, name, root, pcm_conf, stream, mode); (in
snd_pcm_open_noupdate function)

err result is -1 when it's used with dmix...

I don't know how works alsa-lib. I suppose snd_pcm_open_conf has something
related with configuration files... Since I have all default configuration
files... Maybe I must tweak some to be able to use dmix...