[alsa-devel] Ubuntu - Alsa Installation Script

Travis Place wishie at wishie.net
Thu Oct 30 17:00:00 CET 2008

On Thursday 30 October 2008 6:03:55 pm Klaus Schulz wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I prepared an unofficial Alsa-Installation (now 1.0.18) script for the
> Ubuntu Community.
> The intention is mainly to be up2date on the drivers, since this - the lack
> or limited functionality
> of drivers (I am aware of the reasons behind it) is IMO still one of the
> biggest
> weaknesses within Linux. Therefore it is IMO crucial to have the latest
> driver available.
> As you know most of the distributions make things worse since these are
> usually one major release behind.

I will check this out, and see if i can make any suggestions.. also, you could
specify a seperate dir to hold the NEW modules, and update the depmod search
path (this is how i frequently tell ubuntu users to install alsa, from
source).

> For standard installations the script seems to work fine.

We should be able to do a few tests, to determine things, and handle them
differently etc.. If you've ever looked at the alsa-info.sh script, you'll
know what i mean.. When originally writing that script, i wanted to take into
account what 'interface' (if any) to use to display the output.. what
information to collect (ac97/hda-intel) etc..

> Quite some people have been/are using it.
> And of course responding to it - mainly about problems on specific sound
> cards.
>
> I am wondering if things can be improved in the script. I would appreciate
> if
> somebody of the designers around here could have a quick look at it.

Im certainly no real expert, but it sounds like it would be a handy script, so
worth a look into.