[alsa-devel] Automatic assignment/configuration of model-id?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Oct 30 12:25:13 CET 2008

At Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:13:58 +0100 (CET),
Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Klaus Schulz wrote:
>
> > Hi gents.
> >
> > To take full advantage of the driver I need to assign the right model
> > option to the module
> > - as far as I understand - manually.
>
> Hi,
>
> The driver should detect the model automatically. If model is not
> detected properly - please, send a report to this ML with link to
> contents from 'alsa-info.sh' script and we add an entry for specific
> hardware to the driver.

Right.

A bit more background: the model option was originally introduced
to fix the board-specific non-standard implementations, mainly for
broken BIOS.  However, as many hardware appear, this quirk gets more
important roles to add a "proper" support.  So, from the original
sense, adding model option is nothing but a workaround, but right now
it became a reasonable solution.

It means, there is no way to detect the correct model *automatically*
if it's not detected by the driver.  You have to choose it by
yourself, give it a try and and decide the most suitable one.
And then, you can tell developers to assign your device to the default
quirk table.  The full hardware information is included in
alsa-info.sh output, that's why this information is vital and
required.  After that, the driver will be able to pick up a proper
model for your device without extra model option.

The best way to inform the model addition is to post to alsa-devel
ML, and/or post to me or other developers.

A bad way is, unfortunately, to submit it on ALSA bug-tracking
system.  It's handled right now very badly, and you post would be
often ignored.

A slightly better place for bug reports would be kernel bugzilla.
There, some other guys would check and ping developers.  But, the best
would be still to ML, like old good day.

thanks,