[alsa-devel] snd-hda-intel prevents machine to power off

Luiz Fernando N. Capitulino lcapitulino at mandriva.com.br
Tue Oct 28 16:59:33 CET 2008

 Hi Takashi,

 If I have some process with the sound device opened in my eeepc
(say KDE's kmix) and try to power off the machine, for example with:

# echo o > /proc/sysrq-trigger

 The machine will not power off.

 But it does work if I remove the snd-hda-intel module before issuing
the echo above.

 This problem seems to be pretty popular among distros, I could find
it reported for Mandriva, Ubuntu and Fedora.

 Its workaround is also documented in a few wikis: people are doing
a 'rmmod snd-hda-intel' in the last halt stage (ie, halt script
in etc).

 I have tested with 2.6.27.4 and latest 2.7.28-rc2.

 How I can I help you to debug this?

 Thanks.

--
Luiz Fernando N. Capitulino