[alsa-devel] problem persist on Mac Pro (quad pro) using fedora 9

S. Aguinaga sa_jr at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 18:33:35 CET 2008

Hello Team,

I'm hoping that some of you folks might know the work-around and or fix to my  Mac Pro (quad core)
installation of alsa ( on fedora 9 ).

I wanted to get the record to work copied the same thing I did on my laptop MacBook Pro, which is
working ( to some extent, such as with audacity ), but on the Mac Pro tower it has gotten worse.
I used to have audio on the front speaker, and now I have none. And I'm not sure what else to try.

aplay 1.wav does not generate sound, but alsamixer seems to have all ports on and looking ok.

1.    /etc/modprobe.d/sound reads:
options snd-hda-intel model=macpro
2.    ~/.asound reads ( but my gui volume controls tools don't work ) ... I'm wondering
if there anyway to not rely on pulseaudio or if I need to have pulseaudio working on my
fedora 9 installation.

pcm.pulse{
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.phononpulse {
    type plug
    slave.pcm {
        type pulse
    }
      hint {
        show on
        description "PulseAudio"
    }
}

3. the file /etc/asound.conf reads the following ... so I wonder if this is enough and should I erase .asoundrc ?
If so, what else do I need to get  audio working.
pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card Intel
}
ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card Intel
}

I also have asound.state and where should I check to see if it is ok?

// Sal
// Northwestern University - HARP