[alsa-devel] Only one element for multichannel mixer controls please!

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Mon Oct 27 09:53:30 CET 2008

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> And, the current smixer abstraction sucks.  Really.

Because we do not have any abstraction available at this moment. The
smixer API is not bad itself, it's just about internal alsa-lib code and
how to implement abstraction layers. Also, for applications using PCM
devices we need to add two functions handling all used channels like this:

/* for PCM stream volume control */
int snd_pcm_mixer_element(snd_pcm_t *pcm, snd_mixer_t *mixer, snd_mixer_elem_t **elem);
/* for Master volume control - will not be available for recording */
int snd_pcm_mixer_master(snd_pcm_t *pcm, snd_mixer_t *mixer, snd_mixer_elem_t **elem);

My idea is to describe the correlations between PCM and mixer in the
standard .conf files defining PCM devices.

The internal smixer interface can be extended using dynamic C library now,
but the question is, who will write C modules for all cards. I also
prepared python interface to allow fast smixer prototyping. Another
possibility is to create a C module which will parse a text configuration
file describing the abstaction.

					Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>