[alsa-devel] volume scaling of usb audio class headset

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Sat Oct 25 11:16:13 CEST 2008

Sean McNamara wrote:
> There is a *huge* (83 replies) thread in the alsa-devel ML archives
> about this problem. Lennart Poettering raised the issue regarding his
> Logitech external USB speakers.
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/52524
>
> Sort through the replies to see if you can make any sense out of the
> workarounds, patches, and so on that resulted from this discussion. If
> possible, try the latest GIT alsa-driver and alsa-lib.
>
> Sean
>
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Jelle de Jong
> <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I got a question, I got a few usb headsets that seem to apply to the usb
>> audio class and the volume scale is way to big with alsa. with the
>> control on 10 of the 100 you are almost getting deaf. So my question is
>> how does alsa make an scaling for such devices and how to fix it so that
>> the full range can be used in a normal volume spectrum.
>>
>> Thank in advance,
>>
>> Jelle

Thank you Sean for responding to the question, it seems I was not the
only one with this issue. I got one more following question, which usb
headset and usb audio adapters can I buy right now that are not effected
by this issue? Or should I just wait until the upcoming releases that
will hopefully fix the problem for all usb audio devices, or is this
false hope?

Best regards,

Jelle